Tuesday, September 04, 2007

UH OH. I'VE GONE AND MADE COUNTSY CRANKY.

Well It looks as if countsy has taken issue with my last post ("the most difficult gig in animation").
And to be honest I guess I cant say that I blame him.
I do think that he has missed my point or chose not to see where I gave credit to the story guys where its due.
I SAID that there is no job in animation that is easy, but there are some that are easier due to the technical demands on each dept.
How is that NOT correct? Does he disagree with that? Countsy doesn't really answer that. He just says that I'm an ass for stating it. Stating what? A fact?
And HOW exactly is it an ego thing for me by saying that the most DIFFICULT gig (and not to mention one of the most important to my way of thinking) is and has been the inbetweener.
I'm NOT EVEN AN INBETWEENER. I've never BEEN an inbetweener. I've worked with tons of inbetweeners though. So how does that make me an ego mad bastard?

Crazy.

Comon countsy, you have to admit that board artists have the easier of the gigs. TECHNICALLY speaking. There just isn't the same demands on ya. And that's fine! I'm not crapin on ya guys. I am just relating a fact. I'm relaying what I tell people that ask me about the different gigs in animation. Do you deny that what I said is indeed a fact?

I am not saying this because I hate story guys or think them "lesser" of folk in the anim world. Not at all!! But a fact is a fact, don't you think? Its fine! You shouldn't get so defensive about it. The work that you do is as important as the work that anyone else does. But if you tell me that "oh we do technical type stuff to, I have to do it all in photoshop and put it all together and edited, blah blah blah!"
Its NOT the same thing. It goes back to what I said about getting a wacom or cintique, Its NOTHIIIIING! The average 6 year old knows about that stuff. It doesn't compare to the technical crap that an inbetweener has to deal with.

robo::
""" I've been super busy lately, but I saw this and I had to comment.""

OH HI, ROBO!! Hey-I've missed you! Missed you so. I hope your all moved by now and that all is well.
It's always good to hear from you. Lets touch on your comments abit.

Robo:
"""Handel, your information is about 10 years out of date. """

Really? well, that would be surprising, robo. Inform me. Do you get someone ELSE to draw for you? No, seriously...let me know where I'm wrong.
My point still stands, be it on paper or photoshop, scribbling on either is hardly facing any technical demands or difficulties. (on/off button. double click on the program. pen. big woop).
But, who knows. I'm open for conversation on the topic.
If you think you have JUST as many hurdles an inbetweener has. Let me know,story guy.

robo::
""Thing have changed"""

Yes, I know. That's why I was talking about "traditional" animation of say the last 17 years. Which included inbetweeners and roughs and keys CU. Things have changed drastically.
And every ones gig is still as difficult as its ever been. But the demands have always been lesser for story. That doesn't mean that story is "EASY", but the demands on that dept are not and never have been as tough as for other gigs. Why do you think you see so many animators going INTO story? (insert jeopardy theme music here).
I cant believe that this is even debatable for you and countsy. I don't say this out of anger or hatred for story people. I thought I was just stating the obvious. I think you guys are a tad bit defensive about things.

robo:::
""""Educate yourself."""

Robo, I know you have been busy. Very busy with your move to the pink triangle, So I'm going to let this slide.
But you say this again, and I'll slap your ears so far back, you'll have to unzip your pants, bend over, spread your cheeks- to listen to what I have to say.

Fair warning.
(good album and good advice)

Which reminds me, lets go see Van Halen. It's sure to be fun either in a sad way or a BITCHEN way. I'll bring the popcorn, you bring the...gosh, I don't even know what you like.....you a vegan now? You bring the broccoli.