Sunday, April 15, 2007


I was checkin out some of my bloggy co-horts, and found a very touching, very eloquent tribute to a hero of a story guy--who had just passed. I thought that I would pass it on to you.


""This is a bad week for my heroes. First Johnny Hart, and now Don Ho. He died yesterday. He was 84. Ho was one of my all time favorite writers. Famous for blending science fiction and comedy, he was, hands down, the funniest writer I ever read, and was a huge influence on they way I write comedy. If you are unfamiliar with Ho, I'd recommend "SlaughterHouse 5"(mentioned in "Footloose!) and then move on to "Breakfast of Champions". "Bluebeard" is the best of his later novels.
When I was a kid, I used to go to the grocerey store with my mother and spend all of my time in the magazine and book section. There, they would have a buch of those little cheap pocket paperbacks. This is where my early cartooning education began.
It's interesting to see how his style of drawing and writing progressed.
I have this to say......He did what he plaesed. He stood up for what he believed in.
I may not have agreed with how he expressed his beliefs in his work, but I do adimire the courage with which he did.
He was one of the great ones.
Rest in Peace, sir.
-John
Go check him out. If you like this strip, you'll like his stuff too.
Better late than never.
Hi-de ho.
(Read "Slapstick" .You'll get it)
-John"""

Indeed. Well spoken.
As the man himself spoke:

""Tiny bubbles
Make me warm all over
With a feelin' that
I'm gonna love you till the end of time

Hua li'i
I ka waina
Au hau'oli
I ka wa au inu

Hua 'li'i
Wau haawi hoihoi
A i'ini nui i ka wa au
Nana ia oe

Au kuuipo
I nu ho'omahalo ka'ua
I ko ka'ua aloha mau loa""

Read slaughter house five. You'll get it.
I
nspiring, truly inspiring.