Thursday, August 16, 2007

The king of ROCK n ROLL. (rememberance)



Well On this day, 30 years ago- Elvis died. Yeah I know...Elvis. You are either a Beatles fan or an Elvis fan. Me? Me likey da king. I do.
The old stuff, the 60's stuff, And yeah, even the cheesy 70's stuff. I have all the boxed sets. The thing that I like about him is the ability to be versatile. The guy did everything. Rock. Soul. Rockabilly. Gospel. Jeez! Even country! And he did it well. I dig that in a person.
The tragedy is that he was a victim to his own success. To the point where he had others living his life for him. For the sole purpose of exploitation.
Parasites.

And he didn't know it until it was too late to turn back. And it killed him.
Not a good way to go. But he was infamous. He was the KING OF ROCK AND ROLL.

I have always thought that (and Elvis' life is confirmation of this view)....I never want to be known for what I do. Not for my job. Not for the resume. I want to be known for WHO I am. What I contribute to. For my family and how I love them. For being a good husband and a good Daddy.
Because in the end, No animation I create. No illustration that I draw or paint. No story that I write......will ever take the place of a wife saying 40+ years (God willing) from now:
"He is my husband. He is a good and loving man."
OR a little one:
"He's my Daddy, and I love him and I'm proud of him."

Now THAT'S a legacy. And the rest? Its just lines on paper. Dancing bunnies and guys in capes.
Nothing more.

So a tip of the hat to you E.P. I hope your resting now.